Sarde a Beccafico Catanesi - Fried Sardine Roulades
- 2lb fresh sardines, medium size
- 1/4lb bread crumbs
- 1/4lb black pepper pecorino
- 1 bunch of chopped parsley
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 3 beaten eggs for stuffing + 2 for batter
- 1/4lb all purpose flour
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups White wine vinegar
Clean sardines by chopping the heads off and removing the fishbones. Cut them open like a book. Let them marinate in white wine vinegar for 2 hours.
Prepare the stuffing by mixing the breadcrumbs, the grated pecorino, chopped parsley and chopped garlic, beat 3 eggs and add salt and pepper to them, then mix with the rest of the stuffing.
Put stuffing on an open sardine and add a second sardine on top like a sandwich!
Beat 2 more eggs and dip each ‘sandwich’ in, then dip in flour and drop in really hot oil to fry till golden.
Serve both hot or cold!